About BloggerBlogger is a free web based tool to help you easily publish your thoughts online as a “web log”. Established by Pyra Labs in 1999, Blogger is credited with popularising “blogging” as a format of web publishing. In 2003, Pyra Labs was purchased by Google, enabling Blogger to offer all it’s services for free and develop the service to become the powerful publishing format it is today.
There are many reasons to choose Blogger to publish your blog including:
- It is completely free to use!
- It’s incredibly easy to use!
- Blogs are hosted on Google servers, and have no limitations on bandwidth
- You can completely customise the appearance of your blog
- Gadgets can be added to the layout by means of a simple editor
- You can post online, by email or using your mobile phone
- It is easily integrated with other Google services, such as Picasa, YouTube, Google Plus, AdSense, and Google Analytics.
- Advanced users can customize the template’s HTML code
We try to give you a lot of room to play here on Blogger, so you’ll see that a lot of the important “limits” here aren’t really very limiting. But just in case you were wondering, here is some information about what a single Blogger account will hold.
Number of Blogs: You can have up to 100 blogs per account.
Number of Posts: There is no limit on the number of posts you can have on one blog. They will all be saved on your account (unless you manually delete them) regardless of whether you are publishing archives or not.
Size of Posts: Individual posts do not have a specific size limit, but very large posts may run you up against the page size limit. (See the next item.)
Size of Pages: Individual pages (the main page of your blog, or your archive pages) are limited to 1 MB in size. This will allow for a few hundred pages of text, but it may be a problem if you are listing hundreds of posts on the front page of your blog. If you hit this limit, you will see an error message saying “006 Please contact Blogger Support.” You can get around this error by lowering the number of posts on your main page, which will have the added benefit of making your page load faster as well.
Number of Comments: A post can have any number of comments. As with archived posts, if you choose to hide comments on your blog, all pre-existing comments will remain saved on your account.
Number of Pictures: Up to 1 GB of total storage, shared with Picasa Web. If you’ve upgraded to Google+, your photos will be stored in Google+ Photos, where you have 15GB of storage space shared with Gmail and Drive.
Size of Pictures: If you are posting pictures through Blogger Mobile there is a limit of 250K per picture.
Team Members: There is a limit of 100 members per blog.
Number of Labels: Up to 2000 unique labels per blog and 20 per post.
Blog Description: Limited to 500 characters, with no HTML. Adding additional characters or HTML may cause it to revert to a previous setting.
“About Me” Profile Information: Maximum of 1,200 characters.
Profile Interests and Favorites: Maximum of 2,000 characters in each field.
Importing blogs: there are no file size limits for importing blog. Limits for number of imports in a day may apply.
- Image size (dimension)
- Image uploaded via post editor: 1600px wide or high. Larger images can be uploaded but it will be scaled down to 1600px while preserving the aspect ratio
- Image (for background) uploaded via Template > Customize > Background: No limit
- Image filesize (byte)
- Image uploaded via post editor: 8MB
- Image (for background) uploaded via Template > Customize > Background: 300kB
- Uploaded via Blogger Mobile 250KB
- Capacity of image and video hosting (on Blogger partner Picasa Web Albums):
- Photos up to 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos up to 15 minutes: No limit and free
- Larger photos and videos: 1024MB free. Need to buy for more storage.
- Bandwidth of image hosting
- Length of blog title: 90 characters.
- Length of subdomain name (as in http://SUBDOMAIN.blogspot.com): 37 characters.
- Length of blog description: 500 characters.
- Number of members/authors: 100 member invitations per blog.
- Number of readers (for a private blog): 100 per blog.
- Number of posts: No limit.
- Number of posts displayed on multiple-post pages (homepage, archive etc.):
Blogger will attempt to display the number of posts as set in Settings > Posts and Comments > Show At Most provided the posts’ file size does not exceed the Blogger auto-pagination cap of 1MB.
Bigger posts may cause fewer number of posts to be displayed.
- Number of static pages: 20 per blog (updated Mar 2012).
- Number of labels: 5000 unique labels per blog.
- Length of individual post: No limit.
- Size of individual post: No limit, but very large posts may run you up against the multiple-post page size limit (see above).
- Number of labels: 20 unique labels per post. All labels combined must not exceed 200 characters per post (thanks to Zipote Craz).
- Number of comments: No limit.
- Length of post filename: 39 characters (auto-generated from post title, truncated to length).